The history of the Rembrandtplein and the Thorbeckeplein
Rembrandt Square dates from 1655 and was formerly Butter Market. From far and near came peasants with butter, cheese, milk and chickens here to bring their wares to the man.
Middle of the square was the Regulierspoort. As the city grew, the port lost its meaning. That's why he was taken into use in 1668 as Waaggebouw. Since the pounds of cheese and butter were weighed for the market.
The Butter Market changed every year in September in a party area, then it was fair. In the evening there were pleasant lightly. The stalls were replaced circus and marquees, cakes stalls and dance bands, there was even a tent with a waxwork exhibition, a sort of Madame Tussauds.
The image of the painter Rembrandt was created by Louis Royer. How it got there is a long story, which begins in 1840. When Belgium and the Netherlands were two separate countries. Netherlands was not happy, of course, the Belgians. To celebrate, they made a bronze statue of their most famous artist Rubens. Something did the Dutch also, so it was raising money for a statue of Rembrandt. But it was a picture of iron, which was a lot cheaper than bronze. In 1852 it was officially unveiled. Only when the statue was moved 25 years later from the side of the square to the center of the Butter Market Square also got its new name: Rembrandt. The painter was dead. 200 years
A piece Reguliersgracht was filled in 1785 and renamed Reguliersplein. Because of the cheese trade as it was called Cheese Square soon.
After the placement of Thorbecke's image in 1876, the square was named after the famous statesman. In the same year the statue of Rembrandt moved to the center of the adjacent Butter Market and henceforth called Rembrandt.
Since the late nineteenth century, Rembrandt Square and the Thorbeckeplein developed into one of the major entertainment areas of Amsterdam.